This residence was built by Mark and Ellen Simonton c. 1870-1875. The property abstract shows Simonton getting a warranty deed for the property in 1870 for $275.00. A mortgage of $1,239.28 was taken out in 1875. This could be for an addition, since the amount is not all that much for a house in this neighborhood even in 1870's. The Simonton family was from Harmony, Maine. Charlotte Simonton, his mother, was the sister of Joel Bartlett who was one of the pioneer settlers in New Richmond. Simonton was a merchant and in 1895 was in partnership with Nellie J. Hicks as Hicks and Company, Grocers.
The house was sold to Sarah and Frank Wade in 1891 for $4000. Locally, Wade is the man most often associated with this house. He came to New Richmond in March of 1884 from Chicago. He had been a resident surgeon at Hahnemann Hospital there. Wade practiced medicine and surgery in New Richmond for 45 years. He was paid in cattle or goods, as well as money. He practiced not only in the city but made country calls by horse, buggy or cutter. In 1901 he was also the vice president of the Bank of New Richmond. Wade was from Maine originally. He was born in 1860 and his wife Sarah born in 1861. In 1910 they had been married 24 years and had no children.
The house stood strong through the Cyclone of June 1899, which left 117 people dead, 150 injured, 400 livestock killed, and over 230 buildings destroyed. The neighborhood became a safe haven and makeshift hospital for those homeless and injured.
In 1944 the house changed hands again, going to the trustee for Mrs. Wade's sister (Greaton).
She resided there until 1964 when it was sold to James and Jane Alexander with the mortgage amount of $26,000.
6 short years later it was sold once again in 1970 to Dr. Allen and wife Rosemay Carnes. He was a local veterinarian in town that many locals still recall. It was during that period the home fell into some disrepair, and slid into threatened foreclosure in 1983. They were able to save the home, but it was in need of many updates, renovations, and care after years of little upkeep.
In 2003, Bart and Sue Rasmussen bought the property in great disrepair. They painstakingly spent their first 7 years of ownership completely renovating the house, top to bottom. They used great care to ensure that the decor, colors, and materials were historically accurate for the period and style in which it was built. They lived in the home until 2018.
And that is when we became the 7th owners of this grand and glorious property. We finished off a hidden attic space for our daughters, added plumbing for the guest suites, transformed a mud room into a massage studio, and turned it into a licensed Bed & Breakfast. We can't wait to share it with you!